Monday 23 July 2007

QuickTime player displays purple/green screen when playing videos

For the past 8 months now, I have been trying to use my QuickTime player to view the trailers that I download from "Dave's Trailer Pages". However, when I open the downloaded .mov file, I only get a purple screen (sometimes flickering purple and green). I was on the verge of giving up on the QuickTime player, when I decided to Google my problem for the last time yesterday.

I found an article that addressed a similar problem. I just thought to myself, "Well, what the heck, I have come so far, it would not hurt to try this out, before actually throwing the QuickTime player out of my system". Lo and behold, it worked. WOOOO HOOOOO!!! Three cheers to the guy who provided the solution. It was simple, yet, not obvious.

Here is how the problem was resolved.

1. On the QuickTime player menu, click "Edit" -> "Player Preferences..."
2. On the "Advanced" tab, in the "Video" section, UN-CHECK the box for "Enable Direct3D video acceleration"
3. Then just shutdown the player and re-start it.
4. If that does not work, try disabling DirectX in QuickTime by selecting "Safe mode (GDI only)"

I stopped at Step 3 and did not have to perform Step 4. Now, finally, QuickTime player is back up and running for me.

No comments: